You no longer need to be logged into http://www.jumpstarttv.com to watch videos. If you haven't visited the site yet, take a look at it. It has 55 SQL Server how-to videos and growing at 3 a week. The Home Improvement channel will launch in the next few weeks and others to follow after that. The site is looking for speakers so if you'd like to share info, email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Service pack 2 released today to the public in CTP format and can be downloaded here: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/ctp.mspx.
Along with bug fixes, there are tons of new features. What impressed me most was I was able to install the SP without a reboot!
- Support for the upcoming Windows Vista.
- Data Mining Add-Ins for Office 2007, which enables data mining functionality from SSAS to be used directly within Excel 2007 and Visio 2007.
- SSRS integration with MOSS 2007, which allows integration with the Report Center in SharePoint providing seamless consumption and management of SSRS reports within SharePoint.
- SSAS improvements for Excel 2007 and Excel Services relating to performance and functionality.
Heterogeneous Environments (Interoperability):
- Oracle Support in Report Builder. Users will now be able to use Report Builder on top of Oracle data sources.
- Hyperion support with SSRS. Organizations will now be able to use SSRS to build reports on top of Hyperion Essbase cubes.
- Data compression (varDecimal), which is important for data warehouse scenarios and is specifically important for SAP BW scenarios. This requires less disk storage of decimal data which increases overall performance.
- Manageability enhancements. Based on customer feedback, SQL Server provides enhanced management capabilities for DBAs such as improvements in database maintenance plans, enhanced management reports and a new copy database wizard.