posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 1:39 AM
SQL Server 2005 Business Intelligence Metadata Samples Toolkit Released
For the past few months, I've been working on a whitepaper for Microsoft on metadata. The whitepaper evolved as did the product. Well, finally both the product and the whitepaper have been released! So what does it do? Well it's a starter kit that provides you all the code for both viewing and analzying your enviornment's metadata. For example, if you have dozens of SSIS packages in your environment that all load a similar table, you can use this tool to see what the impact would be if you altered the table or the package as well as see the lineage of how the data got into the table. The kit includes:
- DependencyAnalyzer: a utility that scans SSIS packages and SSAS databases for enumerating metadata (objects, properties and dependencies).
- DependencyViewer: a utility to view metadata organization & inter-dependencies (lineage/impact analysis).
- Analysis Services Samples : sample SSAS packages that can be analyzed
- Integration Services Samples: sample SSIS packages that can be analyzed
- Report Model Samples (Report Builder): report builder model
- Reports: sample reports built from metadata store
- SQL: SQL script for creating metadata store
Download the Toolkit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=11DAA4D1-196D-4F2A-B18F-891579C364F4&displaylang=en
I did a quick video also on how to use it that can be downloaded in MPG format here. Downloader beware though! The video is not optimally compressed and runs 80 MB. But, if you have a high-speed internet connection here's the link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=46&p=2&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=11DAA4D1-196D-4F2A-B18F-891579C364F4&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.microsoft.com%2fdownload%2f2%2f0%2f6%2f20607f66-5c41-435d-b961-0673b830f7a8%2fQuickstart+Demo.mpg.
-- Brian Knight